Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24: I will not be upended


I will praise the Lord who guides me; yes, during the night I reflect and learn. I constantly trust in the Lord; because he is at my right hand, I will not be upended. So my heart rejoices and I am happy; my life is safe. You will not abandon me to Sheol; you will not allow your faithful follower to see the Pit. You lead me in the path of life; I experience absolute joy in your presence; you always give me sheer delight.  (Psalm 16:7-11  NET)

This is a prophecy of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and was written hundreds of years before He came into the world. This prophecy is actually used in the New Testament as proof that Jesus is Savior and Lord—that death had no power over Him. This passage explains that God did not allow Jesus's body to decay or to stay in the grave, but raised Him back to life and filled Him with joy in His presence. God made Jesus victorious over death and Satan.

Although the primary application of these verses is Jesus, they also apply to every person of faith. When we constantly trust in the Lord and have faith that He is at our right hand, we will not be upended or shaken. Our lives will be built on the rock and nothing will be able to conquer us. Not even physical death will harm us because we know that at the moment of our death we will be with God in Paradise. Jesus was victorious over death, the devil, and the powers of evil, and because we have faith in Jesus, His victory becomes our victory.

The same confidence that we see in this psalm can and should be ours. What a wonderful life it is to belong to God, to have His constant protection and care, and to live in anticipation of the glories of heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment