Wednesday, March 19, 2014

March 19: Rescued from a powerful enemy


He reached down from above and took hold of me; he pulled me from the surging water. He rescued me from my strong enemy, from those who hate me, for they were too strong for me. They confronted me in my day of calamity, but the Lord helped me. He brought me out into a wide open place; he delivered me because he was pleased with me. (Psalm 18:16-19 NET)

This Psalm was written by David and could refer to the many crises in his life recorded in I and II Samuel in the Old Testament.  Time and again, he experienced literal life and death situations, but there was no doubt that God was the one who delivered David because of his faith and faithfulness to Him.

People mistakenly think that these miraculous acts of God in the Bible are there just to be admired. But they are promises of what God will do for anyone who chooses to go out on a limb and believe as radically as those people of faith did.  If God pulled David out of surging waters and rescued him from strong enemies, we are to take hold of that as a promise for us today, and determine that God will do the same in our situation.  

If you feel that you are being threatened by those who hate you, or spiritual forces that hate you, then take comfort in this passage.  God WILL bring you out into a wide open space if you trust in Him.  He WILL deliver you, no matter how hateful and strong your enemies appear to be.  The end of verse 19 says, “because he was pleased with me.”  In Hebrews 11 it says that faith is the key to pleasing God.  Those who live believing in what they don’t yet see, immediately please God, no matter how weak they might have been just 10 minutes before faith kicked in.  Faith is the key that turns the ignition for God’s power and pleasure.  How can He not rescue a child who believes?  

No comments:

Post a Comment