Friday, April 21, 2017

The Cancer of False Humility


I’m so grateful to have grown in my faith around people who are audacious and gutsy – who say things like “I don’t accept that!” “I determine this!” “That’s tied up!” and “God has to do this!” It’s become second nature for me to really believe and react with these attitudes, and the Holy Spirit confirms those words when I do. God instills this kind of stubborn faith into His children who don’t get tangled up in religiosity because He’s a no-nonsense God. It’s as if His own Spirit confesses those bold truths through our mouths, and those truths return back to Him, having accomplished exactly what He wanted. But speak like that among Christians who aren’t accustomed to that kind of audacity, and I get very strange looks. But then again, God opens doors that unseen demonic forces were trying to keep shut.

I understand them because I was there once. But being audacious shows respect for God, and if I have to offend others by doing so, then what choice do I have?

False humility is one of the biggest cancers of modern Christianity, infecting even the most sincere believer until whatever faith they have is totally impotent. A prayer request could be given for a family member in the hospital, and all that are offered are prayers for mercy and comfort. No demons of infirmity are rebuked, no anger against the attack of the devil, no binding of spirits, no determining of healing, no fire, no zeal, no certainty of God’s word coming true. And when the prayers are over, there’s an attitude of relief that they did their duty. Then the subject switches to daily chit-chat. Spiritual forces are battling for the health of that sick person, forces that we can directly affect by faith, yet bringing up the subject is offensive.

If I told you to call the fire department to save your burning house, would you be offended? If I could show you a real solution to your overwhelming problem, would you reject it because it doesn’t agree with your style of worship? 

The reason why I continue to stubbornly stick to my audacious, rude and pushy form of faith, is that it works. If the way I rebuke demons was a sin, why do problems crumble? Why does it bring me closer to God? Why does God respond so graciously when I tell Him that I don’t accept a problem and that He “has to” answer me? I sense Him cheering me on, telling me, “Keep it up! Don’t give up! This is the kind of faith I need from you! Fight!”

I belong to the church of spiritual revolt that brings about physical changes. But that means being so sure of God, so certain of His promises and His character that we can at times appear arrogant. But the absolute certainty that He is Lord to the point of basing your life on it, is the essence of humility. 

It’s so important to purge ourselves from anything false, anything that would nullify our faith. So important, that my next few posts will be on that topic. What are the differences between true humility, false humility, and outright pride? Are you wallowing in either extreme without knowing it?  Check back tomorrow for the beginning of our series.


Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man viewing his natural face in a mirror. He views himself, and goes his way, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But whoever looks into the perfect law of liberty, and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this man will be blessed in his deeds.  James 1:22-25 MEV

No comments:

Post a Comment