Wednesday, April 23, 2014

April 23: Eat + live forever


I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven so that anyone may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is My flesh. (John 6:48-51 HCSB)

Jesus was speaking to a group of people who had just been miraculously fed by Him the day before. They were excited about the thought that Jesus could give them more food, just like the manna that fell from heaven and fed the Jews for forty years. But Jesus reminded them that their ancestors who ate the manna from heaven all died. What He had to offer them was more powerful and life-changing. The manna in the desert was not really the bread from heaven—Jesus was.

This whole world system around us is destined for destruction. When Jesus comes, the world and the works that are in the world will be burned up. The things that men take great pride in will be destroyed. Money, position, worldly accomplishments, they’ll become worthless. The only thing of any importance is: Do you serve Jesus Christ as your King and Lord? Have you died to your old life? Have you eaten of the Living Bread?

To eat of the Living Bread, means that Jesus Christ can no longer be just a person or even the Son of God whom we view from a distance. Eating the Bread means that I must bring Him inside me. He is in me and I am in Him. My thinking, my goals, my behavior, and my reason for living are all determined by Jesus Christ. I live for Him and by His power. I overcome problems and conquer temptation and gain victories because of the Living Christ in me. 

If you eat of this Living Bread who is Jesus, you no longer are bound by the limitations of this world, by the oppression of fears or spiritual forces.  Instead you take possession of the freedom and abundance that was bought for you on the cross, because He now lives within you on this earth and for eternity in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment