Friday, April 18, 2014

April 18: Doubt is not due to insufficient evidence


The Jewish leaders surrounded him and asked, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus replied, “I told you and you do not believe. The deeds I do in my Father’s name testify about me. But you refuse to believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish; no one will snatch them from my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can snatch them from my Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”  (John 10:24-30  NET)

The religious leaders of Israel were demanding more signs and more arguments from Jesus to prove that He was the Christ. Jesus simply told them that His miracles and words were enough to convince honest people who truly loved God. Their unbelief, Jesus said, was due to the fact that they were not His sheep. They did not love God, therefore, they did not love or accept the Son of God. Since Jesus only spoke the words of God, and did nothing but the works of God, and since His character was the very image of God—the religious leaders’ lack of faith and rejection of Him revealed their true spiritual state.

Don't think that people's unbelief and lack of devotion to Jesus is due to insufficient evidence of His greatness and godliness. Hearing the Good News preached, reading the New Testament, or coming in touch with someone that God sent their way, is enough to convince anyone who is genuinely seeking God. Men and women's rebelliousness and determination to hang on to sin is what causes people to reject Jesus. That is why Jesus preached, “Repent and believe the Gospel.”

Do you belong to Jesus? Is He your shepherd? Do you listen to His voice and follow Him? If you are not yet one of His sheep, His invitation to you is, “Come, follow me!” Look at all the blessings that He gives to His sheep (mentioned in the verse above). He will have a personal relationship with you; He will know your name; He will give you eternal life, and you will never perish.

No comments:

Post a Comment